My Dream Kitchen

Open concept has always been my jam. I love the idea of cooking and baking while keeping an eye on the kids doing their homework, watching a movie, or playing games - food is my love language, after all. My dream kitchen would be a culinary haven, packed with storage for all my gadgets and appliances, but also incredibly functional.

(Pic credits to: Shannon and Tim)

For me, a perfect kitchen is all about efficiency. A long, 3-meter layout with a dedicated workspace and a deep sink would be ideal. Having the cooking section lower down (I'm not exactly tall at 148cm) would allow me to see my kuali without needing to stand on tiptoe. The pièce de résistance? A moveable and adjustable work table that can transform into an island, a workspace, extra storage, or even a dining table!

In a tiny house, even the most minor details can have a major impact. I understand the importance of good ventilation, especially when cooking up a storm. While a big window sounds lovely, it wouldn't be ideal for rainy days or when we need to eat inside. That's why I'm considering a small range hood to keep things fresh and avoid trapping steam, odors, and carbon monoxide.

Forget a bulky stove taking up precious space! My dream kitchen embraces the power of portability. A small, portable hob and some additional appliances like an air fryer and a mini oven/toaster would be all I need (or Thermomix 😝). They're easy to move around and can be tucked away when not in use, freeing up valuable counter space for other activities

Just like in our current house, the kitchen in my tiny home would be the heart of the family. It's where I envision spending most of my time, whipping up delicious meals with the help of my four little sous-chefs. The atmosphere would be warm and comforting, filled with the aroma of freshly baked cookies and the sounds of laughter.

Limited floor space? No problem! With some clever planning and multifunctional furniture, our tiny house can feel spacious and cozy. For larger meals, we can always extend the fun to the patio! Imagine barbeques under the stars, laughter echoing through the night. It's all about thinking outside the (tiny) box and embracing the joy of togetherness, no matter the size of our home.

Notes:

Lighting
Since our kitchen is open concept and connected to the living area, I would focus on layered lighting to create different ambiences. Here's what I envision:
  • General lighting: Recessed ceiling lights would provide overall illumination for everyday tasks. Pot lights or track lights would be ideal, as they can be adjusted to focus on specific areas like the countertop or sink.
  • Task lighting: Under-cabinet lighting would be essential for illuminating the work surface while cooking. Pendant lights over the movable island/dining table would add a warm touch and provide focused light for meals or homework sessions.
  • Accent lighting: String lights or fairy lights can be used to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere, especially during evenings.
Storage Solutions
Here are some space-saving storage solutions I would consider:
  • Vertical storage: Utilize walls with tall cabinets that reach all the way to the ceiling. This maximizes storage space without sacrificing floor space.
  • Pull-out drawers and shelves: Opt for deep drawers and pull-out shelves instead of regular cabinets. This allows for easier access to items stored in the back, especially in lower cabinets.
  • Hidden storage: Integrate hidden storage compartments into the base of the movable island/dining table. This can be used to store appliances, cookware, or frequently used items.
  • Over-the-door organizers: Utilize the back of cabinet doors with organizers for spices, cleaning supplies, or other small items.
Material 
For both functionality and aesthetics, I would choose a combination of materials:
  • Countertops: Butcher block or light-colored laminate countertops would be durable, easy to clean, and visually appealing in a small space.
  • Cabinets: Light-colored wood or painted cabinets would reflect light and make the space feel open and airy. Consider incorporating glass-front cabinets for some items to add visual interest without feeling cluttered.
  • Flooring: Light-colored, water-resistant flooring like vinyl or laminate would be easy to maintain and complement the overall light and airy feel.

Comments